Travelers Philanthropy: A Core Component of Responsible Travel
- Benefiting communities and conservation
- Enhancing the tourism experience
- Building a more engaged and ethical tourism industry
The Third International Travelers’ Philanthropy Conference is jointly organized by the Center for Responsible Travel (CREST) and the Monteverde Institute, with the support of the Advisory Committee. The conference will open in San Jose on Wednesday, July 20th and then continue, Thursday, July 21 – Saturday, July 23, with plenary sessions, workshops & site visits in the cloud forest destination of Monteverde.
Travelers’ philanthropy is a relatively new concept, but it is rapidly growing into a worldwide movement and becoming part of the definition of responsible travel. At its core, travelers’ philanthropy is about tourism businesses and travelers ‘giving back’ to tourism destinations by providing financial support, volunteer expertise, and material contributions to local projects and community initiatives. The conference will explore evolving best practices in travelers’ philanthropy, including how your business, non-profit, or destination can set up and manage a giving program, and how to maximize benefits for community and conservation while avoiding common pitfalls. CREST hosted previous International Travelers’ Philanthropy Conferences at Stanford University, California, USA in 2004 and in Arusha, Tanzania in 2008.
Registration Fee: $395 (Early Bird rate)
Conference registration includes:
- Half day “How-To” short course on Travelers’ Philanthropy, San Jose (location TBD)
- Opening reception and dinner, San Jose (location TBD)
- Transfer to Monteverde from San Jose on Thursday, July 21st
- 3.5 day conference (workshops, plenary sessions, etc.) in Monteverde
- Guided tour of one of the three pristine Private Reserves: the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, the Children’s Rainforest, or the Santa Elena Reserve.
- All lunches, dinners, receptions and coffee/tea breaks during the conference
Please note: International airfare and accommodations are not included.
Available separately, there will be special pre- and post- conference trips showcasing ecotourism and travelers’ philanthropy in Costa Rica. Check back soon for details and registration for these special trips.