Travelers’ Philanthropy is a project of the Center for Responsible Travel (CREST).
We strive for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) within the travel industry internationally, encouraging individual businesses and their travelers to support social service and conservation projects in the communities where the travel experiences take place. This is an increasingly important source of development assistance for communities located near tourism destinations. Travelers’ Philanthropy is a leader in addressing this important global movement. Read more about the history of Travelers’ Philanthropy.
We created Travelers' Philanthropy as the solution to a need for better connection between travelers who want to give back to their destinations, and tour operators with close ties to communities and a deep understanding of what a region needs most from its visitors. Tourists who visit the developing world frequently wish to help the communities they see, but find it difficult to know whether their financial contributions will have a positive impact, or be tax-deductible. CREST’s Travelers’ Philanthropy program addresses these challenges through an international network of reputable lodges, responsible tourism operators, and other tourism businesses that serve as the link to connect potential donors to successful community projects in the host countries. Travelers’ Philanthropy’s easy to use donation website offers a vehicle for tourists to help address local needs by channeling their expertise and providing security and tax-deductibility to their donations.
The Travelers’ Philanthropy online portal offers the following programs to connect donors, travelers, and leading responsible travel companies:
- Secure, Easy Donation System to allow YOU to give to important community development projects, ensuring the funds go where they are needed most. Plus, you’ll get a tax deductible receipt. Donate here
- Projects Directory to showcase important community projects which donors can support online. Search Project Directory by name (see our Projects) or with our world map showing global impact.
- Travel Company Directory featuring leaders in Traveler’s Philanthropy. Travel with one of our lodges and tour operators, or simply learn more about their philosophy and the travel experiences they offer. Click to visit the Directory.
- Tips for Travelers to highlight some of the Do’s and Don’ts of responsible giving. Tips for Travelers
- Tips for Businesses to assist lodges and tour operators in establishing a successful Travel Philanthropy program using industry best practices. Tips for Businesses
- Pioneering Travel Companies have long been frontrunners in the movement for worldwide philanthropic giving; Travelers' Philanthropy acknowledges their inspirational leadership. Click to read more about our Pioneers.
- Up-to-Date News keeps the travel industry abreast of trends and important milestones in the field.
- Research and other important resources are made available electronically through the main CREST website.
- Conferences organized by Travelers’ Philanthropy provide international forums, bringing together key industry players to discuss best practices and other critical issues in this important global tourism movement. To read more about our recent Travelers Philanthropy Conference, click here.
- Documentary Film this inspirational film footage demonstrates international examples of Travelers Philanthropy in action. To read more about the making of the film and see an excerpt of the final release, click here.
We're sure you will be moved by the important work that our partner travel companies are doing to help communities and conservation globally. Please bookmark our website and return often to see what's new as we expand our web portal.